PINAR DEL RIO


support babalú


Your donations help fund
our continued operation

do you babalú?

what they’re saying


bestlatinosmall.jpg

quotes.gif

activism


ozt_bilingual


buclbanner

recommended reading





babalú features





recent comments


  • Griffin: In addition to the high suicide rate and low birthrate, Cuba also has the highest abortion rate in the Western hemisphere. Add...

  • asombra: Cubans on the island procreate just fine. They just abort the consequences in record numbers. I will never forget, a few years...

  • asombra: As for Fidel, nice biceps, no? Sheesh. Talk about delusions of hotness.

  • asombra: Even if (repeat, IF) this clearly wet-behind-the-ears NON-CUBAN “Latino” person is writing in good faith (which is...

  • jsb: Remember this is the editorial board’s blog. Any one of them can hack out a column on that page, it’s not necessarily...

search babalu

babalú archives

frequent topics


elsewhere on the net



realclearworld

And So It Begins…

innocence

Are you ready for this? These are not the droids you're looking for...

The LA Times is reporting:

Administration officials have asked YouTube to review a controversial video that many blame for spurring a wave of anti-American violence in the Middle East.

The administration flagged the 14-minute "Innocence of Muslims" video and asked that YouTube evaluate it to determine whether it violates the site's terms of service, officials said Thursday. The video, which has been viewed by nearly 1.7 million users, depicts Muhammad as a child molester, womanizer and murderer -- and has been decried as blasphemous and Islamophobic.

YouTube blocked access to the video in Egypt and Libya, where protests in Benghazi erupted in violence that claimed the life of U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other embassy workers. However, the video remains on the site. Protests have spread to Yemen, where hundreds stormed the U.S. Embassy.

[...]

YouTube declined comment on the administration request.

Earlier in the week, YouTube said it found that the video was "clearly within" its guidelines, which bar sexually explicit content, gratuitous violence, hate speech and what it termed "bad stuff" such as animal abuse, under-age drinking and bomb-making.

And now this from The Hollywood Reporter:

The Innocence of Muslims, a movie that has enraged radical Islamists who have rioted and committed murders in the Middle East this week, was partially shot on a set that Paramount's TV unit helped to build for its TV show JAG, and a man with five decades of movie and television experience is helping the FBI figure out who is behind the controversial film.

Portions of the infamous, micro-budget movie were filmed in Saugus, about 30 miles north of Hollywood, on a portion of Blue Cloud Film Ranch called “Baghdad Square,” which is often used for TV and film productions seeking to replicate Middle Eastern war zones.
“JAG and Paramount and myself, we built this entire set for the JAG TV series,” says Blue Cloud owner Rene Veluzat in a YouTube video where he describes his movie ranch. On Thursday, though, that video was made “private” and protected by a password.

Paramount Television produced JAG, which aired on CBS from 1995-2005.

A Paramount spokesperson said the studio has no way to verify whether it built the set.

The building facades in and around Baghdad Square at Blue Cloud appear in episodes of JAG and The Innocence of Muslims, as well as other TV shows and movies.

The FBI and the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department were interviewing Veluzat on Thursday, and Veluzat told The Hollywood Reporter that both law-enforcement agencies instructed him not to speak with the press or other interested parties about what he knows about The Innocence of Muslims.

Sources close to the investigation say they’re hoping Veluzat can, among other information, provide clarity as to the real names of the filmmakers. The Innocence of Muslims filmed Aug. 18, 2011, at Blue Cloud under the name Desert Warrior. The producer was listed in the film permit as Sam Bossil, though it’s an alias (reports also have identified him as Sam Bacile).

According to Film L.A., the county is holding the film permit under lock and key for now while it alerts those who are named on it that their identities -- assuming they are real -- are about to made public. Insiders say law-enforcement officials are concerned for the safety of the filmmakers once their true identities are known.

[...]

(All emphasis mine)

Oh, sure they are. The filmmakers have not broken any laws. However, intimidation is a wonderful weapon in order to silence people.

THIS is not about some stupid film/video. That is a BS red herring.

3 comments to And So It Begins…