Raise the white flag
The news of corporations big and small laying off employees in the immediate wake of Obama's reelection should surprise no one. They were holding out hope that help would be on the way in the war the government has declared on them. The help is not coming, a majority of American voters has ordered the troops to stand down.
Given that, I think maybe it's time that we surrender. President Obama, Leader Reid and former Speaker Pelosi all say that Republicans have been obstructing their legislative agenda and that's why we aren't moving forward. I think it's time to give them everything they want.
- Let's start with the debt limit: let's increase it to whatever Democrats want it increased to, no questions asked. The more debt the better. They know better, they won. We'll be happy to ride in the back.
- Bush tax cuts: let them expire. There's no limit to how fast and how much the economy can grow if only the government could get its hands on even more of the citizenry's money.
- Taxes on the 1%: Let's do it, raise taxes on the millionaires and billionaires. Warren Buffet wants to pay more taxes and I want to grant him his wish. Whatever Harry Reid says should be their fair share is what we should get out of them.
- Capital gains tax increases: Taxing investment income is a great source of revenue. I mean what could go wrong if we discourage investing by making it less profitable?
- Cap and trade: two helpings please. We'll save the economy AND the planet with this fantastic mechanism that doesn't actually reduce carbon emissions.
- Single Payer Health Care: One size fits all healthcare from the people that run the Post Office. What's not to like? Sign me up.
The sooner we capitulate to the President and his Democrat allies in congress and the senate, the sooner we'll see all of the wondrous effects these policies will have on our economy and our country. If they really believe these are the policies that will bring prosperity, then it's time to call their bluff.