PINAR DEL RIO


support babalú


Your donations help fund
our continued operation

do you babalú?

what they’re saying


bestlatinosmall.jpg

quotes.gif

activism


ozt_bilingual


buclbanner

recommended reading





babalú features





recent comments


  • TWFKAP: Until they rise up and free themselves from their jailers all this talk of a “constitution” is absolutely...

  • Honey: And how amusing that Kennedy’s reputation is lifted in praise for his courageous stand against missiles in Cuba, after he...

  • Honey: I left a comment there.

  • Rayarena: The worst thing about these photo-ops of fifo with foreign dignitaries is that they are supposed to show that the...

  • asombra: Oh, and Carlos, don’t hate Maduro because he’s a stupid nothing dancing with those who brung ‘im. It’s...

search babalu

babalú archives

frequent topics


elsewhere on the net



realclearworld

Cuban government finally admits cholera epidemic in Havana

It took about a week, dozens infected, at least one dead, and the news being exposed to the world (including a link on the Drudge Report to our report), but the Cuban government finally got around to admitting there is a cholera epidemic in Havana.

Via Café Fuerte (my translation):

Cuban government confirms cholera epidemic in Havana
Instituto de Medicina Tropical Pedro Kouri en La Habana.

Cuban sanitation authorities confirmed this Tuesday the existence of cholera in Havana with 51 cases reported. They are pleading with the population to intensify their hygienic practices in order to stop the epidemic.

In a memo distributed this Tuesday in the official press, the Public Health Ministry (MINSAP) said that this past January 6, an increase in illnesses with diarrhea and symptoms of cholera were detected in the capital's municipalities, which caused the "activation of an anti-cholera action plan."

"The microbiological analysis conducted by the Pedro Kouri Institute for Tropical Medicine (IPK) determined that the agent responsible is Vibrio Cholerae O1 Tor enterotoxigénico serotipo Ogawo, with 51 cases confirmed as of now," said the report.

The memo from MINSAP confirms the recent reports from independent journalists on the cholera outbreak in Havana, an illness the Cuban government claimed had been under complete control since August 28th of last year.

Continue reading (in Spanish) HERE.

2 comments to Cuban government finally admits cholera epidemic in Havana