Operations at the Babalú kitchen have been sporadic at best lately, so take advantage of this rare opening and serve yourself a heaping bowlful of our world famous news ajiaco!
- With all the talk about Cuban American poet Richard Blanco being featured at President Obama’s inauguration yesterday, those of here in Miami, wearing our “guayaberas, [standing] in senate, blaming Kennedy for everything — ‘Ese hijo de puta!’ The bile of Cuban coffee and cigar residue filling the creases of [our] wrinkled lips, clinging to one another’s lies of lost wealth, ashamed and empty as hollow trees,” forgot to mention that another Cuban American was prominently displayed at the inauguration: Cuban American Episcopal pastor and Pedro Pan alumni Rev. Luis Leon. Apparently, El Reverendo was also a bit absent minded as he quoted Christ in his benediction but forgot to actually mention the name Christ.
- Cuban state television decided to broadcast the inauguration of President Obama to the Cuban people yesterday. It was an unexpected move by the Castro dictatorship, which attempts to control every bit of information that enters the island. In this case, however, they were apparently not worried that Obama might say anything subversive about the revolution.
- Writer, blogger, human rights activist, and unapologetic intransigent hardliner, our good friend Zoé Valdés, celebrated the 5,000,000 visit milestone to her awesome blog, ZoeValdes.net. Congratulations to Zoé and we hope to be celebrating the next million visits in a free Cuba!
- Tracey Eaton has almost everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask about kidnapped American aid worker Alan Gross and his descent into Castro hell.
- So far unconfirmed reports are indicating that Cuban baseball star Alexander Guerrero has defected and is now in the Dominican Republic. Amazing how everyone is impressed and encouraged by the economic reforms of the Cuban dictatorship except for Cubans themselves.