Update on Wretchedly Greedy And Ungrateful South African Students

South African Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi

Two more medical students returned to South Africa last week after protesting their living conditions in the Castro Kingdom.  Some of the South African news outlets are still paying attention to this story.  As in previous reports, the tone is one of bewilderment.  What really happened remains a mystery, and no one else in the world seems willing to dig into this stinking manure pile.

South African Health Minister to meet Cuba students
Zodidi Mhlana, The New Age, S.A.

The health department says a meeting between Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi and the six South African students who aborted their medicine studies and returned home will take place soon.

This comes after two more students from KZN returned from Cuba on Thursday. The other group of students came back to the country a few weeks ago.

The students were part of a group of 187 medical students who went on a hunger strike and boycotted classes demanding that their monthly stipend be increased from $200 (R1869) to $700 (R6542) in February.

Health department spokesperson Joe Maila said: “The minister is yet to meet with the students at a date to be determined. It is only after the meeting that the minister will comment on the matter.”

The six decided to return home after Minister Motsoaledi told them that their demands were outrageous.

They were part of the South Africa-Cuba Medical Training Programme.

The South African government spends about R500000 per student over six years for a language course, medical training and living expenses in Cuba.