Human rights activist in Cuba threaten hunger strikes to protest imprisonment of independent journalist
Journalist: More hunger strikes if Cuban political prisoner Calixto Martinez not freed
Calixto Ramon Martinez
If Cuban authorities don't keep their promise and release prisoner of conscience Calixto Ramon Martinez in coming days, other activists will start hunger strikes to show their support for the imprisoned journalist, according to independent journalist Roberto de Jesus Guerra.
"Six months is sufficient," Guerra told CubaNet, referring to how much time Martinez has been in jail since he was arrested Sept. 16 near the Havana airport, where he had gone to report on why a shipment of donated medical supplies had been allowed to file. Martinez, who last summer broke the story about a cholera outbreak on the island, is a reporter with the Hablemos Press news agency, of which Guerra is the director.
"All of this must have annoyed the government very much. It was a personal reckoning," Guerra said.
Martinez, who has not been formally charged by authorities, last week ended a 22-day hunger strike after officials assured him he would soon be released.
Guerra said the regime's about-face was the result of international pressure on Martinez's behalf. If officials don't free him this week, other activists are prepared to start their own hunger strikes, Guerra said.