A guest post from Asombra:
A Brief Explanation of Spain
The Spanish novelist Pío Baroja said this in 1904. Evidently, it still applies.
“In truth, there are seven classes of people in Spain…yes, like the seven capital sins. Thus:
- Those who don’t know.
- Those who don’t want to know.
- Those who hate knowledge.
- Those who suffer because they don’t know.
- Those who pretend to know.
- Those who succeed without knowing.
- Those who live off the fact that others don’t know. This last class call themselves politicians, and sometimes even intellectuals.”