Is Mexico going “Trump” on Cubanos?

Up here, Mr Trump wants to send illegal immigrants back home. The Mexican government has criticized such a campaign position.
I have said several times that massive deportation is an unrealistic option, in large part because it will get caught up in the courts and not send any one home.

Interestingly, the Mexican government is doing its own version of Trump’s idea.

They pick up “indocumentados cubanos” and send them back to Cuba, as we read in The Yucatan Times:

After providing first aid and verifying that they were in good health, the Navy transferred the rafters to the remote terminal of the Port of Progreso.

The Cubans were then sent to the Merida facilities of the National Institute of Migration.
Authorities have reported the arrival in Yucatan of more than 150 Cuban rafters in 2014 and so far in 2015, in what is considered the largest exodus from the island in the past decade.

Most are seeking to reach the United States, using Mexico as a stopover on their journey.
However, unlike the Cubans who have in past months arrived to Mexico, the six recent arrivals could never reach the United States due to the Mexico-Cuba repatriation agreement signed Nov. 7 in Merida by President Enrique Peña Nieto and Cuban President Raul Castro.

Due to the agreement, the six Cubans would be sent back to the island.

We understand that Mexico is a sovereign country and has the right to enforce immigration laws, such as keeping people without papers away from its territory.

Here is the question: Why do so many Mexican politicians criticize Mr Trump for proposing to do here what they do down there?

The bottom line is that Mexico is hypocritical about enforcing immigration laws.   Apparently, it’s OK for Mexico to deport Central Americans or Cubans in the name of sovereignty and the rule of law.   It’s not OK for the US to do the same thing.

The word is “hipocrita”!   Someone should ask President Pena-Nieto about it!

P. S. You can listen to my show (Canto Talk) and follow me on Twitter.

Thumbs up to Governor Christie over the issue of Joanne Chesimard

Babalu readers are very familiar with the story of Joanne Chesimard, the killer of New Jersey state trooper who was given safe harbor by the Castro regime.

Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey wants to do something about it and we are happy to see that:

The Republican governor and presidential candidate sent a letter to the bistate agency Tuesday urging them to reject any regular flight routes between Newark Liberty International Airport and Cuba until Joanne Chesimard, also known as Assata Shakur, is returned to the U.S.

“It is unacceptable to me as Governor to have any flights between New Jersey and Cuba until and unless convicted cop-killer and escaped fugitive Joanne Chesimard is returned to New Jersey to face justice,” Christie wrote in the letter obtained by The Associated Press.

“I will not tolerate rewarding the Cuban government for continuing to harbor a fugitive,” he said.

Chesimard was convicted in 1977 in the death of Trooper Werner Foerster during a gunfight after being stopped on the New Jersey Turnpike in 1973; she was sentenced to life in prison but escaped and made her way to Cuba, where Fidel Castro granted her asylum.

The Chesimard episode is one of many missed opportunities with Cuba.   President Obama was so eager to open a US Embassy in Cuba that he forgot about the killing of Trooper Werner Foerster many years ago.   How do you put Raul Castro and his band of gangsters over the men and women who protect us everyday?

Hooray for Governor Christie.

P.S. You can listen to my show (Canto Talk) and follow me on Twitter.

The latest in US-Cuba talks with Jorge Ponce & Alain Castillo

Guests:  Jorge Ponce, Cuban American writer and contributor to Babalu Blog…….plus Alain Castillo, young Cuban American raised in Miami now living in Texas………..join me for the latest in US-Cuba talks…….talk of a embassies opening soon………repression in Cuba……….doing business in Cuba……..dissidents in Cuba……….Cuba-Venezuela relations today…….Cuba and Latin America…

CLICK TO LISTEN:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cantotalk/2015/06/24/the-latest-in-us-cuba-talks-with-jorge-ponce-alain-castillo

Will the international left call on Fidel & Raul Castro to give up their millions?

Yes, the Castros have turned Cuba into a very poor country.  It may be true that Cuba does not have the money to compensate the aggrieved investors.   However, the Castros have the money and should be required to use it to take care of US citizens with claims in the courts…..

click to read:

http://cantotalk.blogspot.com/2015/05/will-international-left-call-on-fidel.html

 

The latest on US-Cuba talks with Jorge Ponce

GUEST:  Jorge Ponce, Cuban American writer and contributor to Babalu Blog…..We will look at the latest in US-Cuba talks……the removal of Cuba as a terrorist nation……..the impact of the Cuba decision on 2016 politics……also a quick update on an upcoming show with Professor Alfred Lopez about his new book about Jose Marti…..

Click to listen:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cantotalk/2015/04/28/the-latest-on-us-cuba-talks-with-jorge-ponce