Reports from Cuba are that Cuban TV is showing the flag at half-mast and showing old footage from the start of the revolution.
More details as they become available.
- UPDATE (Henry): None of the local media that would be monitoring Cuban broadcasts is confirming these reports at this point. Stay tuned.
- UPDATE (Pitbull): The original came from report from WQBA via the show with Jose Alfonso Almora and Bernadette Pardo. Reliable sources with these contacts would be appreciated. Email me at spectator AT babalublog DOT com.
- UPDATE (Val): I just want to interject here that two of Cuba’s telecommunications directors were removed from office last week and replaced with new Information Technology and Communications Minister Ramiro Valdes. This guy is old school and we should take these reports with skepticism as this could all be part and parcel of an old Soviet style misinformation campaign.
- UPDATE (Henry): We are hearing that this is perhaps not the death we have been anxiously awaiting but a death nonetheless. Raul Castro’s wife, Vilma Espin, has been allegedly very sick in recent months and weeks. A very visible person in Cuba’s Revolution since the beginning, Espin’s death would make sense as the reason for flags at half staff, etc.
- UPDATE: More information from Charlie Bravo.