Fear Over State of Fidel’s Health

The influential Mexican news daily, REFORMA published today, a new report concerning the deteriorating (if not already rotting) condition of Cuban dictator Fidel Castro. I have taken the liberty of translating the first half of the article (the meat and potatoes) for our gringo (I’m using the term affectionately here) readers. The entire article can be found here.
Fear Over State of Fidel’s Health
Havana, Cuba – Amid rumors of a supposed worsening of his health, Fidel Castro turned 81 today.
Ever since Fidel temporarily ceded power on July 31, 2006, the actual condition of the intestinal illness that has left him secluded at a hospital in the western capitol has been guarded as a state secret.
Despite the 37 articles that have been published by the press since March, people with access to his family assure that he is in a state of maximum fragility.
Over the last few weeks, he has been operated on more than once in a bid to halt would could convert itself into a fatal septicemia.
These same sources yesterday told REFORMA that the leader has lost a great deal of weight, and no longer wants to walk or receive visitors.
Of what can we be certain with regards to these affirmations? It is impossible to know.
The fact is that without medical reports on the evolution of the patient, the health of the Cuban leader has led to all kinds of speculation inside and outside of Cuba.
Fidel himself said during his lifetime, he had been dangerously close to death on more than one occasion, and that he had undergone various operations, and that right now, his major enemy is his advanced age.
The last time Castro appeared speaking on television was during an interview with a local journalist on June 5th. He looked to be in good healthy, although debilitated.
Fuctionaries in Havana continue to say that the comandante is still stable, that he participates in all important government decisions and that the public will see him again. But the opinion of the population differs from that of the official line.
After interviews performed by REFORMA, it seems that most people have accepted Castro’s fragility and the fact that there is no turning back, going on further to state that he will not return to an active life.
H/T: The Real Cuba

14 thoughts on “Fear Over State of Fidel’s Health”

  1. Over the course of the last week or so, from all that I’ve been reading/seeing, is that the death of Fidel Castro is very close in reality, AND his death cannot be OVERESTIMATED as to the impact that it will have on the immediate and longterm events in Cuba – despite whatever attempts are made by Raul to ‘control’ things.
    To me, Fidel’s death will be the BIGINNING OF THE END of this terrible tragedy of 50 years.
    The ‘END of the END’, I believe, will follow in short order.

  2. Dont forget that history repeats itself.
    When Lenin died, the father of the revolution, Stalin, the assassin of the revolution came to power.

  3. It’s true Tango – I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – the nightmare ain’t over simply because Fidel kicks the bucket. Still . . .
    -AB

  4. Yes, raul will open up a little the economy, moving himself to the China/Vietnam model, trying to acomodate himself economically with the USA. Internationally, he will focus more on cuba´s interest and leave the international stage to the Chavez Clown. In he meantime, he will tight up the control the country. Remeber, that economic openess will bring food to the people and some social benefits and will keep the people happy. Barriga llena no protesta. Look at Cuba in the late 70´s early 80´s. Keep them in a bubble while giving the basic needs.
    On monday Raul prohibited the use of the internet to all correspondents in the island.

  5. On monday Raul prohibited the use of the internet to all correspondents in the island.
    Where did you hear that? I’ve had no problems communicating with anyone . . .
    Curious.
    Best,
    -AB

  6. The instant I hear the news that the Greatest Cuban PIMP fidel is dead, I`m going to open a bottle of the most expensive champagne I can find, drink…find a photo that surely the New York or Los Angeles Times will publish in memory of thier dead hero…. and piss on it.
    In fact because of the rumors coming out of La Habana, I am picking it up today.

  7. Se veía venir, pero nadie lo daba como posible. Era demasiado insulto, inmenso. El Instituto Cubano de Radio y Televisión (ICRT), a través de una carta oficial firmada por su presidente y enviada a las direcciones informativas de los órganos de prensa de todo el país, ha suspendido desde este 13 de agosto cualquier acceso de sus funcionarios, dígase periodistas, a los servicios de internet.
    A partir de ayer, toda comunicación vía email, así como los servicios de noticias, se producirá a través de un enlace con el sitio oficial enet.cu. Con mucho filtro y vigilancia se podrá entonces saber, supuestamente, quién es quién en cada medio de prensa en la Isla.
    La nueva carta insta a las direcciones informativas de los medios de comunicación a seleccionar “adecuadamente” el personal que se encargará de la actualización de las páginas web y de la revisión del material informativo al que se tiene acceso.
    A pesar de que ya se murmuraba entre pasillos y redacciones, la noticia ha conmovido a muchos. Y es que esta suerte de “regalo” tiene una serie de antecedentes.
    Los servicios de internet quedaron limitados desde 2003 a una hora por periodista, en el caso de los medios de prensa escrita, y en el mes de abril de este 2007, se limitó el acceso a las páginas de Hotmail y Yahoo en la prensa radial y televisiva.
    Ahora, el supuesto “veneno” de la red —ese que deja abierta la posibilidad de conocer versiones diferentes de los acontecimientos mundiales y de Cuba— pretende ser arrancado “de raíz”.
    Casi como una “gratificación”, los directivos han aconsejado a los periodistas salvar sus direcciones de emails y contactos, en las pocas horas que restaban para el corte definitivo del servicio, y para que se despidieran de amigos y familiares como si de una marcha al otro mundo se tratara.
    ‘Cuidado, te estoy mirando’
    Numerosos sucesos recientes podrían ser causas directas de esta suerte de apocalipsis web. Medidas disciplinarias, separación definitiva del centro de trabajo y hasta procesos policiales iniciados contra quienes divulgan información obtenida en la red, han movilizado a las altas fuentes del organismo en diversos territorios del país.
    Una medida aprobada por el Comité Central del Partido y adjunta al Código de Ética de los periodistas cubanos desde el año 2000, prohíbe el uso de la red para “asuntos de índole personal”, como correo electrónico y chat. Este decreto ha sido aplicado para considerar indisciplina grave, de índole ideológica, las acciones de quienes han sido sorprendidos, o espiados, comunicando al exterior la dura realidad del día a día en el país.
    En las televisiones locales de Camagüey y Las Tunas, un administrador de la red y un funcionario de edición web fueron iniciados en procesos policiales por presunta distribución de información, sobre todo de aquella que no se ve ni se escucha por los sistemas de radiodifusión en la Isla y que aclaran el quehacer arrogante de la dictadura. Ambos están separados de sus funciones por tiempo indefinido, hasta tanto la investigación iniciada arroje algún “resultado” concreto.
    En la principal emisora radial del Oriente de la Isla, CMKC, hay también procesos abiertos contra dos periodistas por presunto “uso indebido” del correo electrónico que tenían instalado en sus viviendas. Hasta el momento, permanecen separadas de sus puestos de trabajo.
    Los servicios de navegación, un privilegio para algunos periodistas supuestamente “más confiables”, también están siendo revisados. Se analizará la pertinencia de mantenerlos, en virtud de las decisiones que se deriven de las asambleas extraordinarias que la oficialista Unión de Periodistas de Cuba (UPEC) deberá convocar en breve.
    Téngase en cuenta que muchos de esos “bendecidos” columnistas han pasado ya al retiro o mantienen una actitud poco colaboradora con sus antiguos centros de labor ideológica, entiéndase medios de comunicación.
    El nuevo sistema instalado, casi listo en los telecentros provinciales, es una conexión directa a la llamada “internet de Etecsa” (Empresa de Telecomunicaciones de Cuba), que ya regula los servicios informativos y de mensajería en las direcciones territoriales de la Agencia de Información Nacional (AIN) y Prensa Latina.
    Los corresponsales locales de los diarios Granma y Juventud Rebelde, así como del semanario Trabajadores, también comenzarán a utilizar esta nueva conexión, la que garantiza obviamente vigilancia efectiva en las operaciones de los diversos filtros que tiene instalados.
    Las actuales decisiones tienen que ver con las políticas represivas del ministro de Informática, Ramiro Valdés, y sus costumbres de sigilo masivo. Ahora sus ordenanzas han sido aplaudidas por la dirigencia del ICRT. ¡Qué remedio!
    Apagón eterno
    En una de las más recientes “reflexiones” de Fidel Castro, se puede leer la preocupación del gobernante por la desaparición de la especie humana y sus secuelas para la historia de la humanidad, en virtud de los más acuciantes conflictos mundiales.
    Sin embargo, muchos en todo el mundo están esperando el momento en que el dirigente refiera, o al menos haga mención, la desaparición en Cuba, hace casi 50 años, del derecho elemental de los ciudadanos de tener libre acceso a la información.
    Habría que ver si cuando eso ocurra, intenta omitir que en Cuba acontece un apagón informativo tan vigoroso y mordaz que violenta el ejercicio de la opinión y fomenta el apoyo ciego de muchos a una forma de poder que obliga simplemente al silencio o la omisión.
    Desde este 13 de agosto, de los medios de información están saliendo más parafernalias sobre los “logros del proceso”. Y aunque quienes escriben las loas no tienen acceso a internet para contrastar sus ideas, se divulgan de todas formas “deseos de más años de vida” para el opositor mayor del ejercicio pleno de la libertad.
    Dirección URL:
    http://www.cubaencuentro.com/es/encuentro-en-la-red/cuba/articulos/apocalip

  8. Henry, I hope you have the bottle already bought and in the refrigerator chilling. There will certainly be a shortage of champagne, when the news finally comes. I said yesterday that they might wait until after his birthday to announce his death (I personally think he is already in Satan’s hands) and the day is not over yet!!!!

  9. Ahora el cuerpo de fifo esta llegando al mismo nivel de putrefacción que de su alma.
    Que se muera ahogado en su M$%@DA.

  10. Champagne’s in the fridge, I’m praying for that one something that will trigger massive protests. I don’t believe anything will get better with the assassin in charge, and for anyone who thinks the China model would be much of an improvement, make note of that the Chinese executed a CEO last Tuesday for embezzlement, and a disgraced toy maker has “hung” himself according to China state news. Suicide apparently being as common in China as it is in Cuba.

  11. According to Yolanda Martinez, the journalist from the Mexican newspaper Reforma, she broke the story about fifo’s health because she considers that it’s unethical to withhold such important news. She also stated during her telephone conversation with WLTV-Univision last night that other international correspondents in Cuba have access to the same information she has. These correspondents prefer to keep silent so they can hold on to their Havana bureau.

Comments are closed.