Labor Day is upon us and it’s traditionally a day to celebrate the end of summer and also a “day off for working citizens.”
I’m taking that to heart and so I’m keeping things really simple in the kitchen.
What could be simpler and tastier than a Homemade Cuban Pizza?
(umm… that was rhetorical…) =D
Happy Labor Day!
The Very Best Homemade Cuban Pizza EVER
2 pkgs. Pre-made pizza crust or you can also use the refrigerated dough (I use Boboli Original Pizza Crust)
6 garlic cloves – minced
1 small yellow onion – diced
1/2 green bell pepper – diced
1 small can tomato paste
1 small can tomato sauce
3 Tbsp. Dry white wine
1 tsp. whole cumin
1 tsp. Oregano
Salt & pepper to taste
3/4 cup grated Gouda cheese
3/4 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1) In a large skillet, sauté garlic, onion, and bell pepper in olive oil over medium heat. (yes, you’re making a sofrito for the sauce.)
2) Cook and stir until onion is translucent, but make sure not to burn the garlic.
3) Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, white wine, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper.
4) Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until well-blended and heated through.
5) Spread this sofrito sauce over pizza dough.
6) Mix the gouda and mozzarella cheeses together and cover the pizzas with these.
7) Sprinkle the grated Parmesan over all. (this is what makes it toasty)
8) Sprinkle lightly with a little bit more oregano.
9) Cook in a hot oven at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and toasted.
10) WARNING: Resist the temptation to bite into it immediately, even though you will be enticed to do so by the blissfully amazing Cuban-food smell. =D