I have to say, rather immodestly, that tonight’s show was one of our best ever thanks our special guest Michael C. Moynihan of Reason Magazine. The podcast is now available. This one’s a keeper, folks! Subscribe in iTunes here, or download it here.
Our special guest tonight will be Michael C. Moynihan, Senior Editor for Reason Magazine, who will be debating and discussing the Cuba embargo (among other topics). Here’s a link to his bio on the Reason site.
The BabaluBlog Radio Show starts at 9:00 PM. Don’t miss this show! The call-in number is (646) 652-4506, or you can send an email to me with questions or comments. Don’t miss the opportunity to call in and participate!
As an additional talking point, here’s the response I left on a “conservative” blog regarding their assertion that the embargo is a failure and should be lifted:
I’m all for lifting the embargo and for removing economic sanctions against Cuba under the following eight conditions:
1. That all Cuban political prisoners and prisoners of conscience be released immediately and granted an unconditional amnesty.
2. That all Cubans be allowed to move freely within the country.
3. That the existing system of apartheid-like segregation be eradicated immediately, specifically that all Cubans be treated as equals to their foreign counterparts, such as “prominent scholars and artists” from abroad.
4. That all Cubans be granted access to all sources of uncensored information, whether in broadcast, print, or Internet immediately.
5. That all Cubans be granted the freedom to express their opinions freely without fear of repercussions.
6. That all Cubans be allowed to travel abroad freely.
7. That all Cubans be allowed to live, work, and seek a better life for themselves as they see fit.
8. That all Cubans be allowed to elect their leaders through verifiable, transparent democratic elections as allowed for in Cuba’s last legitimate constitution, the Constitution of 1940.
Not unreasonable, I think. Unless these conditions are met, there is no reason on God’s green earth to give fidel, raul and his mafia one dime of IMF and World Bank money to continue their fifty year reign of terror on the island.
The issue is not one of this policy or that policy; the issue, quite simply, is the freedom of the Cuban people. Are they any less worthy than Iraqis? And, to add to the folly being called for here and by the misguided Senator Lugar, as soon as the embargo is lifted, without a quid pro quo, the Cuban people, the dissidents, and the political prisoners, will be doomed forever to a system we helped create five decades ago.
I’m truly, deeply ashamed of faux conservative Republicans who have fallen for the claptrap mouthed by left in this country about Cuba. You have, effectively, joined hands with those who have had the blood of Cubans on their hands for decades.