Today is May 1st, 2012: Do you know what that means? It means today is Tuesday and it’s time for your Babalú News Ajiaco!
- Catholic News Agency reports that Havana Archbishop, Cardinal Jaime Ortega, is willing to endure the criticism and attacks for the sake of what he calls “reconciliation” in Cuba. Add these to the long list of vile and reprehensible things Cardinal Ortega is willing to “endure.”
- Punt de Vista indicates that not only is May Day a celebration for workers, in Cuba, the unemployed must also “celebrate.” All Cubans, including those who are unemployed, have been ordered by the dictatorship to attend the May Day rallies today in Cuba.
- Venezuelan dictator Hugo Chavez is back in Cuba. This is not really news, but just in case some of you out there have been keeping a tally on the trips back and forth.
- William Levy, the Cuban American television heartthrob, continues to make American liberals queasy. In response to a question regarding his upbringing in Cuba, Levy remarked that he spent much of his childhood :::GASP::: hungry!
- On the eve of the most holiest of days for unions, the boss of Cuba’s one and only union, which is wholly controlled by the government, the only real employer on the island, stated that more workers have to be fired and those who remain must increase productivity before they can even begin to talk about raising wages. Nice.
- The two Cuban actors who defected while promoting a Cuban movie about defection in the U.S. continue to whip up more delicious irony.