So far, 25 American diplomats have been attacked and injured in Cuba. Nevertheless, despite these disturbing assaults on Americans, the Trump State Department is still refusing to pull U.S. officials out of there. Moreover, they also continue to refuse punishing the Castro dictatorship for these egregiously hostile acts and are still allowing Cuban spies disguised as diplomats to boldly and safely gallivant all over Washington D.C.
Tillerson Holds Off on Shuttering Embassies, Pulling Diplomats After Meeting With Cuba’s Top Diplomat
Cubans say they are still cooperating and not responsible for ‘sonic’ attacks on U.S. diplomats in Havana
State Department Secretary Rex Tillerson met with Cuba’s top diplomat Tuesday about the mysterious “sonic” attacks on U.S. diplomats in Havana and conveyed the “gravity of the situation,” but so far has not taken any new steps to respond to the attacks.
State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said Wednesday the conversation between Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Eduardo Rodriguez was “firm and frank” and reflected the United States’ “profound concern for the safety and security of its diplomats.”
“The secretary conveyed the gravity of the situation and underscored the Cuban authorities’ obligations to protect embassy staff and their families under the Vienna Convention,” she said in a statement.
Nauert on Tuesday confirmed that the Cubans had asked for the meeting. The request came after five GOP senators who serve on the Intelligence Committee called on the U.S. to expel Cuban diplomats from Washington and possibly close the U.S. embassy in Havana if the Cuban government couldn’t ensure their security or provide more information about how the attacks occurred.
Tillerson over the weekend said he was considering closing the embassy and was weighing all the factors involved.
A Tuesday McClatchy news service report, picked up by the Miami Herald, said the Trump administration “as soon as Tuesday will announce a major withdrawal of staff from the U.S. embassy” and will boost the number of Americans affected by the sonic attacks to 25 from 21 with reports of cases occurring in the last several weeks.
However, Tillerson has thus far stopped short of taking any additional action. Earlier this year, the Trump administration expelled two junior-level Cuban diplomats from Washington in response to the attacks.
Continue reading HERE.