‘Sonic attacks’ on U.S. diplomats in Cuba and China remain a mystery

https://babalublog.com/wpr/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/cuba-china-sonic-attacks.jpg

The U.S. State Department said yesterday it has still not been able to solve the mystery behind the “sonic attacks” that injured more than two dozen U.S. diplomats and family members in Cuba and two in China. Exactly who carried out the attacks and the weapon they used that caused brain damage in some of the victims remains unknown.

Cuba’s Castro dictatorship continues to claim it was not responsible for the attacks and knows nothing about them. Such a claim coming from a totalitarian regime with an extensive and sophisticated surveillance operation that monitors every move made by U.S. personnel on the island is laughable.

The question is not if Cuba’s Castro dictatorship was involved in the “sonic attacks,” everyone knows they were whether they have the courage to admit it publicly or not. The real question is if the Castro dictatorship was the perpetrator, an accomplice, or a facilitator of the attacks.

Via The Hill:

State Dept: No answers in sonic attacks in Cuba, China

U.S. authorities still don’t know who or what caused a series of mysterious ailments that affected Americans in China and Cuba, the State Department’s top Western Hemisphere official said Wednesday.

Kenneth Merten, the acting principal deputy assistant secretary for Western Hemisphere Affairs, told lawmakers that U.S. investigators continue to examine the source of health problems for 26 Americans.

“We don’t know who is responsible and we don’t know what is responsible for this,” Merten said during a House Foreign Affairs Committee hearing.

He added that the investigation is “still very much evolving.”

Reports of the symptoms, which range from loss of hearing to vertigo, first emerged in fall 2016 but were not publicly disclosed until months later. Since then, new cases have surfaced.

The health incidents prompted the U.S. last year to recall roughly 60 percent of its embassy staff from Havana and order 15 Cuban diplomats to leave Cuban Embassy in Washington.

The Cuban government, which is conducting its own investigation into the matter, has vehemently denied any role in the incidents and has accused the U.S. of playing politics with the cases.

At least one person at the U.S. consulate in Guangzhou, China, has reported experiencing symptoms similar to those caused by the incidents in Cuba, prompting the U.S. to evacuate some personnel from the facility.