Cuban government refuses to relinquish its profit from exile remittances

From our Pound of Flesh Bureau

As the character of Shylock in Shakespeare’s Merchant of Venice insisted on collecting a pound of flesh from one of his debtors, so does Castro, Inc. continue to insist on taking a cut of every dollar sent to its island slave plantation by Cubans living abroad.

Yes, Mildred, we’re talking about Castrogonia’s military junta again and about its absolute ownership and monopolistic control of every piece of property and every financial transaction on the island formerly known as Cuba.

The military monopolists insist that there can be no way whatsoever for anyone to send any money to Cuba except through them. And, of course, they inisist they have the right to take a big bite out of every pie, so to speak.

As Shylock would put it:: “The pound of flesh which I demand of him is dearly bought: ‘tis mine, and I will have it”

This complaint is a response to Darth Trump’s recent order forbidding the sending of remittances from the U.S. through any financial institutions owned by Castro, Inc.’s military-economic complex, which has resulted in the closing of all Western Union offices in Castrogonia.

Hey, unfair again! These good socialists deserve their cut of everything!

Loosely translated from Marti Noticias:

The Cuban financial company Fincimex, a subsidiary of the GAESA economic-military complex, publishes this Friday on its Facebook page that they cannot dismantle in 30 days the mechanism they have had for decades to receive remittances from abroad and collect a percentage for the transaction.

Fincimex denies the possibility that remittances can be sent to other entities that are not under the tutelage of the olive-green businessmen, and that the regime will not “establish a payment network in Cuba that is different from the current network.”

The financiers of the regime acknowledge that for 20 years Fincimex have benefited from the financial operation and invested in “equipment, premises, preparation and training of personnel and communications infrastructure” and consider that it is impossible for the Cuban regime to set up a similar system in 30 days, as stipulated by the regulations of the US Department of the Treasury.

It says in the Fincimex note that “70% of the network of payment points is made up of companies included in the list of restricted entities,” without mentioning those that make up the remaining 30 percent.

Experts on the subject have expressed the possibility that national banks, which are considered under civil control, take charge of the operation, as well as the already existing formula of paying abroad and delivering the money to relatives in Cuba. Also in the networks have been unleashed a rain of digital sites that bet on changes in bitcoins and cryptocurrencies; mocking the percentages that the regime appropriates.

2 thoughts on “Cuban government refuses to relinquish its profit from exile remittances”

  1. But there’s no greed or extortion here. Socialists are never greedy, and Castro, Inc. must observe its prime directive, after all, regardless of how many or how much ordinary Cubans suffer as a result. The “revolution” was never for them anyway; it was simply for the benefit of the ruling class. There you have it; move along.

  2. See all those men seated in the front row? They are all parasites, leeches, who only take but don’t give–in part because they have nothing worthwhile to give, and in part because that’s NOT what they’re about.

Comments are closed.