Cuban dictatorship sentencing July 11th peaceful protesters to up to 20 years in prison

The abusive and excessive sentencing of peaceful protesters in Cuba is the communist Castro dictatorship’s reaction to having its weakness exposed before the world on July 11, 2021. How bad is the brutal oppression the Castro regime has unleashed on the Cuban people since it was brought to the brink of collapse? So bad that not even the UK’s The Guardian has been able to ignore it:

Cuba protesters sentenced to up to 20 years as hundreds more await verdicts

Cuban courts have handed out sentences of up to 20 years in prison to a group of people accused of taking part in protests that swept across the island in July.

The 20 defendants sentenced in the eastern province of Holguín were convicted after trials last month on charges of sedition. Hundreds of other people await verdicts following trials elsewhere.

Thousands of people took to the streets in cities across Cuba on 11 and 12 July — the largest such protests in decades on the island – many frustrated with shortages, low salaries and power outages, as well as with the socialist government.

“This was terrible … People have been crying, inconsolable there,” said Mailyn Rodríguez, who said by telephone that her husband Yosvany Rosell García had been sentenced to 20 years after prosecutors had sought a 30-year sentence.

“The prosecution requests were too high and the sentences horrific,” she said from Holguín, some 800km (480 miles) east of Havana.

She said relatives of the 20 were summoned to the court on Monday to hear the verdict, which followed a trial in early January.

García, a 33-year-old welder, had denied accusations he threw stones during the protests, his wife said. She said he would appeal.

Similar trials also took place last month in the provinces of Santa Clara and Mayabeque and in Havana, though no verdicts have yet been announced there.

Continue reading HERE.