From our Bureau of Socialist Compassion and Social Justice
A Cuban-born German citizen who had the audacity to film the July 11 protests on his phone while visiting Cuba has been sentenced to 25 years in prison.
Imagine that. Twenty-five years in a Castro, Inc. hell-hole for filming a protest. And imagine being 59 years old and in frail health. Your punishment amounts to a death sentence.
German diplomats in Havana have been trying to help this man, but they can’t even get to visit him. That’s socialist compassion for you. God only knows how much money and how many concessions Castro, Inc. will squeeze out of Germany before this man is freed.
He is a hostage, pure and simple. Remember American citizen Alan Gross? Same situation here, but this hostage was unfortunate enough to have been born in Cuba, so Castro, Inc. thinks it is entitled to dig its claws into him more deeply, and to demand a much higher ransom.
Germany’s Foreign Ministry said Tuesday its diplomats are working to get access to a German citizen imprisoned in Cuba since last year.
Supporters say Luis Frómeta Compte, a resident of Dresden who has both German and Cuban citizenship, was arrested on July 11, 2021, after filming an anti-government demonstration during a vacation in Cuba.
According to the International Society for Human Rights, Frómeta Compte was sentenced to 25 years imprisonment in December for causing public outrage and inciting unrest. The group said the 59-year-old plans to go on hunger strike to protest his incarceration.
“The German embassy in Havana is dealing with the case and is in close contact with the Cuban authorities, the lawyer and the relatives of the person concerned,” the Foreign Ministry said.
The ministry and the embassy “are making intensive efforts to gain consular access to the person concerned,” it added.