Imprisoned Cuban dissident José Daniel Ferrer denied visit by his wife, family asks for “proof of life.”

From our Bureau of Socialist Compassion and Social Justice

Nelva Ismaray Ortega, wife of dissident leader José Daniel Ferrer, reports that she was denied the right to meet with her husband for a conjugal visit yesterday, even though she spent more than 12 hours at the prison, waiting for the meeting — a right supposedly guaranteed by Cuban law.

Ortega fears that her husband might be ill, injured, or dead, and has asked prison authorities to offer proof that he is alive and well — another right ostensibly guaranteed by Cuban law.

Welcome to hell on earth. Welcome to Cuba, the pearl of Latrine America.

Loosely translated from Marti Noticias:

Authorities of the Mar Verde prison, in Santiago de Cuba, prohibited on Tuesday the conjugal visit “guaranteed” to opposition leader José Daniel Ferrer.

“I moved to the Mar Verde prison that had a marriage visit with my husband by regulation. The day before, I had received a call from the repressor of the political police who calls himself Julio Fonseca, who confirmed that the visit would take place and that I should be in the prison at half past eight, ”said his wife Nelva Ismaray Ortega.

“From that time until approximately eight at night I waited and waited and, just like the family visit, they also denied me this visit, despite the fact that I sent word many times that I was staying there demanding rights that are being violated,” she said.

On April 5, the day set for a family visit to the imprisoned dissident, the head of Internal Order, Mayor Ortiz, denied that Ortega and two of Ferrer’s sons could see him. He only accepted the “jaba” (bag) of food.

José Daniel Ferrer was sentenced to 25 years during the Black Spring of 2003 and arrested during the demonstrations on July 11, 2021 in Santiago de Cuba. For joining the protests, the Santiago Municipal Court sentenced him to four years and 14 days, because he did not comply with “the freedom limitation requirements” established in a previous sanction.

“Only on two occasions was I able to see the head of Interior Order, Mayor Ortiz, first around 10 in the morning in the same visiting area in the military area and then after 5 in the afternoon outside the prison, and on both occasions I only received negative,” Ortega said.

Continue reading HERE in Spanish